Friday, May 16, 2014

Growing Up

For the past few weeks I've been figuring out my living situation for the next year. My current roommate decided to get a house with some other girls, and I've had some roommate possibilities fall through, so I'm going to live all on my own. This is a huge financial step for me and I feel like it's pushing me towards truly "growing up," considering both my freshman and sophomore year I spent in on campus housing.

I'm extremely excited now though because I set down my deposit for my new apartment which means it's really officially happening! Luckily, I won't have to buy any furniture and I'll actually be getting some more space (i.e. a walk in closet). What's making this growing up and being on my own situation a little more interesting is I'll be getting my first credit card. Cue some moans and groans from financial people. But I'm smarter than I look! I definitely live by the "if you don't have it don't spend it" motto, and only purchase things when I can pay straight from my checking account. But at my age, I need to start establishing credit so that I'm not screwed when I go to make some big purchases, like a house or car, in the next 5-10 years.

Now I'm starting off easy. This new apartment is giving me a launch for the sheer fact that all the bills will be in my name. The twist, is I do still get financial help from my parents. They do help me pay my bills because I'm not able to work enough to pay them myself. School was always the deal to come first. But since my parents help me, my bills will always be paid, and paid on time. And when they're going through my credit card first, my credit will build up nicely.

Some people may call this not really growing up and that's ok. I think I'm taking advantage of the areas in which I'm blessed to help myself transition into true adulthood. My parents might not have been able to outright pay for my education, but if they can help me out here so when I do move into the big girl world, I think it's a good plan.

No comments:

Post a Comment