Sunday, March 30, 2014

The Shadow Box

For one of my architecture classes we have a semester long project called the Shadowbox. This project is infamous in the program and utilizes everything we know about construction thus far. We are asked to use certain materials and to show our knowledge of connections in designing a piece. It's called a shadow box because the idea for the project came from an artist who made actual shadowboxes, but we depart very far from it. We begin by researching an artist and architect, have a preliminary design meeting, a review, and now tomorrow the final product is due and will basically be on display in the building.

My project took departure from looking at Banksy, the graffiti artist, and using his element of imagery. My basic design was composed out of the process of screen printing. I took an image and broke it down into 3 colors (shades of grey). Each layer was then rastered into acrylic, then connected together through rods with a rockite (concrete) base.

I failed many times at the base.

This one had incredibly crooked rods, so my acrylic couldn't fit on it.
I got smarter and added support to my rods so that they weren't crooked....

But they were still off enough that my rockite shattered when squeezing on my acrylic.

My said layers of acrylic. I decided finally to put them all together first, then pour the rockite.

The success of knowing it all was together.

And my final product!


No comments:

Post a Comment